Saturday, November 15, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2008

I am now 25,000 words into my NaNoWriMo 2008 challenge. NaNoWriMo is a national writer's personal challenge to write 50,000 words of a new novel during the month of November.

It was good timing for me because my current WIP (work in progress) needs a break from me and I need a break from it!

So for a change of pace I decided to write a Janet Evanovich style murder mystery for fun. About a week into it I realized I am not a Janet Evanovice style writer...but did like the story so continued in my Jacqui Carney style which might be slightly more meditative. I found myself upping the ante of my protagonist, a locker room attendant at a fancy country club who discovers a murder in one of her showers. She is at the onset of pursuing a new career in police work as a private detective to earn a better living and to investigate the sudden increase in heroin use in her home town.

I expect the two endeavors will come together at the end and may actually result in resolving the murder as well. It's fun and now that I have stuck my neck out I am learning a lot about the plague of heroin in Detroit.

No comments: